Saturday 5 January 2013

Life of Pi by Yann Martel

“Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it, a jealous, possessive love that grabs at what it can. But life leaps over oblivion lightly, losing only a thing or two of no importance, and gloom is but the passing shadow of a cloud...” 

Life of Pi follows the life of Pi Patel, when his family decide to move their Zoo from India to Canada it starts Pi on a journey for his survival. Stuck on a boat with a Zebra, a Hyena, an Orang-utan and a Bengal Tiger, Pi learns that friendship and courage sometimes comes at the most unexpected of times.

I was completely sucked in by this book, the first half of the book was a little slow, I put it down so many times and something always had me coming back to it. The description of his life in India was wonderfully I loved how he talked about exploring the zoo and all the quirks of the animals living there. The writing was beautiful and flowed so easily that you could really transport yourself into Pi's world.

Pi is a wonderful young boy, he is incredibly inquisitive and his faith in God never wavers. This book has me questioning my life, what did I believe in? Would I have the courage and faith not in a higher power like Pi but in myself to survive and do everything Pi did to make this happen. Isn't that what a good book should do, make you question the life you live?

I don't want to mention much about the ending but there is a twist that will leave you questioning everything you've just read. 

Life of Pi, is a beautiful book about one young boys fight for his survival. Even though slow to start it gets progressively better so don't give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment